On June 13 2014, the Disability Section convened an Activate Talk on “Youth with Disabilities and Innovation: Making the World Inclusive for ALL!” at UNICEF Headquarters. The Activate Talk brought together young people with and without disabilities who have come to New York as representatives of the Youth Council of the Global Partnership for Children with Disabilities to participate in the 7th session of the Conference of States Parties to the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. They explored the intersection of inclusion, stigma, discrimination and innovative approaches to coping with these issues in the context of the post-2015 agenda.
The event was moderated by Sarah Crowe of UNICEF and featured the following speakers:
- Lucy Meyer, Spokesperson for Children with Disabilities, Special Olympics Athlete 15 years old (USA)
- Nguyen Phuong Anh (Crystal), runner up, Vietnam’s Got Talent 17 years old (Viet Nam)
- Tongai Dana, Young Voices Leonard Cheshire International, 24 years old (Zimbabwe)
- Kartik Sawhney, winner Science All India Topper, 19 years old (India)
- Njelekela Ashura Michael, Miss Deaf Kenya, 21 years old (Kenya)